Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The rock star of fantasy fiction

I am, of course, talking about Neil Gaiman and tonight I saw him talk at the ANU. He was eloquent, funny and insightful. We got some Q&A, a small extract from "Anansi Boys" (his new novel, due out in September I think) and some clips from Mirrormask. "Anansi Boys" sounds brilliant, especially read by the author. Definite Gaiman-y goodness there. Might hafta look for preorders. Gaiman can also do a scary-good impersonation of Terry Pratchett, too.

Mirormask looks freakin' awesome! Written by Gaiman, it's directed by Dave McKean, who does all the cover art for the Sandman trades (among other things) and produced in cooperation with Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Tell me that's not the coolest line up in movie history! The visuals look brilliant, exactly like a McKean cover but moving!

After the talking there was book signing, but given that I'd been wrestling with my damn Masters all day (academic rigour sucks arse!!) I didn't have any of my Gaiman books with me. So I got him to sign the title page of my latest Masters draft. Now it has names of potential examiners in Jen Webb's handwriting, some ideas for improving bits and bobs in my handwriting and "Good luck, dream dangerously" and a signature in NEIL GAIMAN'S HANDWRITING!

I was goin to play that calm and blase but, really, it's just too fucking cool!!! :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fucker.

Er... I mean...

Wow! MirrorMask clips!

I still wish they'd actually gone with the whole "official Lab sequel" idea, but MirrorMask should do for the moment while we wait for the upcoming "OEL manga" from Tokyopop.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And looking somewhat like a cross between Mick Moriarty and Bernard Black, Mr Gaiman is really quite hot!
(oh, and I just have to point out that I wasn't at the uber-geek meeting of MirrorMask minds under my own steam, I was simply there to meet Callum afterwards and am still able to mock)

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home