Thursday, March 18, 2004

Anticipation and movie marathons

Well met,

Tonight I get to see the Cat Empire live and loud. How cool is that!? I know, all you Melbourne-based readers (hark at him. "all you Melbourne-based readers", like anyone other than my immediate friends reads this...) have already seen them five million times and knew they were awesome decades before Triple J even started braodcasting, let alone playing CE, but for me it's a big deal, so nyer. We'll be having a nice Indian meal at the Shalimar before hand and then... Hchello, hchello!!! :)

Tuesday night saw me doing something I hadnae done for ages, went to see one movie and then went straight back in and watched another. I went to work to pick up my pay (a couple days early so I could give money to the dentist, more on that later) and two of my co-workers (Amanda and Nikki, specifically) said "Hey, we're going to the movies after work, wanna come with?". A quick trip to check out session times later and we're settling in to watch The Butterfly Effect, and boy is it a depressing movie. Don't get me wrong, the concept is pretty clever, the editing and FX shots are well done and the supporting cast is brilliant, but there's just so much wrong shit in the film that if the ending had been three angstroms less happy, I would've had to have gone on a murderous rampage. Oh, and Ashton Kutcher wasnae too bad, but he did keep reminding me of Keanu in The Matrix.

After Butterfly Effect, Amanda and I (Nikki had to go home) met up with a couple of me other mates (Sil and Andrew, if'n ye must know) and went to see The Last Samurai and damn what a movie! Great fighting, impressive cinematography and Ken Watanabe was robbed. I do have one problem, in that a few of the 'isn't Japan pretty, let's film horses moving along skylines' shots made the horses look dreadfully CG. I don't know if they were or not, but those shots and a couple of the big battle shots just screamed computer generated. Couldn't they have flown to New Zealand and borrowed MAYA from Weta Digital? Ye see, I think the Lord Of The Rings movies have raised the bar for massive, CG battles to the point where movies featuring sequences that even two years ago would've been stunning, now look a little hinky. Like The Matrix with fight sequences and Blade and XMen with movies based on comic books, the level of awesomeness in the freakin' massive battles in Return Of The King has basically ruined it for everyone else. Tee-hee.

Oh, and to gloat, I went to the dentist and it was neither as painful nor expensive as I had thought it would be. How cool is that?

And now back to the Uni work...

Four things I've learned recently;

  1. Around the BBQ discussions that involve 2 AFP officers and one forensic pathologist are kinda cool, just don't be put off when the phrase 'he'd melted into the couch' comes up.

  2. Al Leong may have only been in about 24 movies, but he seems to crop up in all the ones I watch.

  3. A 1.5 litre bottle of Grolsch doesn't last as long as ye might think.

  4. My blog really does look like a Medicare form.



======
"You don't want to get too personal, but you're asking me if my pubes are ginger?"
- David Gorman, response to a question from Will Anderson on Triple J's breakfast show today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home