Monday, November 01, 2004

Social Gaps

There are gaps in acceptable social training. I mean, I know a thing or two about proper decorum in a variety of situations (even if I choose to ignore most of it). I know the correct order in which to use my cutlery (something a certain young lady very close to my heart needs reminding about every time :) ), I know that you don't call a non-comissioned officer "Sir" and I know that you shouldn't face-fault at stupid customers. However, I'm pretty sure there is no socially acceptable way in which to congratulate someone because their partner/spouse is hot. You can't just go up to a guy you don't know and say; 'Excuse me, sir, but I just wanted to point out that your wife is a horn bag. Nice work'.

What is the proper reaction when someone of the opposite gender gives a gay friend their phone number? Do you cough politely and shake your head, giving the number back? Should your gay friend call them and tell them that they aren't really interested because the person has the wrong genitals? If a total stranger has the tag of their clothing sticking out, why is it wrong to poke it back in and inform them as they round on you for inappropriate touching that they were, in fact, a Tag Dag?

We need to address these and other issues. There would be less awkwardness and stress all round, I think, if you were able to stop wearers of muffin pants in the streets and remind them that mid-riff tops are a privilige, and not a right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a circumspect way of congratulating someone on their spouse/partner - "You're a lucky man/woman" - but due to deliberate vagueness to avoid offense, it isn't clear what you are congratulating them on (looks? crossword ability?) or whether it is in fact a disguised insult - "You're a lucky man/woman (because you are so ugly/stupid/socially inept)".

The Tag Dag thing is a problem, as we haven't come up with an equivalent polite 'code' that exists for that other fashion malfunction, undone zippers - "You're flying low" etc. Any suggestions?

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home