Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Gig review.

Last thursday, I was sitting at home cooking up some soup when I got an SMS from Eliane. She was asking me if I still intended to go and see the Spazzys when they were on at the Green Room. For those of you who don't know, the Spazzys are an Australian, all-girl, punk/rock band. They've had a bit of air time on Triple J and - from what I can gather - have quite the live following. Anyway, back to the SMS. I replied that I did wish to see the gig, but that thus far no one had told me the day it was on. Eliane replied that the gig was on that night at about 9pm. Given that it was 7:30pm, I thought; what the hell? and agreed to meet her there.

We arrived at O'Shea's (the pub to which the Green Room is attached) around 9 and played a bit of pool. I played pretty well, Eliane played okay and the people that played us mostly played for shit. Except the dudes that beat us, of course. I put some tunes on the jukebox and in keeping with the spirit of the punky night, I chose Sinatra and Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Then we headed up to the venue and caught the act before the Spazzys. It was a one man, two woman three-piece called Osterberg that absolutely rocked. The drummer was hot, the lead guitar could play (although he wasn't exactly the best looking guy in the world, or possessed of the strongest stage presence) and I pretty sure the Bassist was Sofie in disguise. :)

Then the Spazzys came on and they were fucking cool! They played for an hour or so (which was plenty long enough for school night) and really did go off like the amphibian in the hosiery. Their version of "My Boyfriend's Back" is great, and their original stuff was slick too. Guitar-heavy with suitably loud vocals and some awesome drumwork. Plus, they all signed the single I bought for Sam 'cause he couldn't come, on account of dental surgery.

A top night and easily the best $10 gig I've ever been to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home