Saturday, December 10, 2005

Book 46

"The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien

Yup, I finally came through on my "I really must read that now" promise. After three false starts when I was younger, I've actually finished the book and I gotta say I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most rivetting thing I have ever read, nor did it alter my perception of the genre (coming, as I do, a good forty years to late for that to happen), but it was an interest story with a wonderful use of language and without the dull, dull, dull digressions of the more "grown up" LoTR books.

It's the use of language that I think stood in the way of my reading this when I was younger and helped me enjoy it more now. With my studies, and the strange way my brain works, an interesting use of language can keep me reading long after a weak plot would've had me putting a book down and the qauint, "nice" use of words in this book had me, if not enchanted, then at least kept my interest alive.

I'll not go on a plot exploration (remember, I'm catching up on a month worth of postings here, I have to keep things short), but will wrap up by saying that I'm glad I read this one, if for no other reason than to fill that little wole in my knowledge of the geek canon.

Three arguing dwarves out of five.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Not much time left to get through your last four books, but I'm sure you'll manage somehow.

It sounds like you were underwhelmed with The Hobbit, and you hint that it was the plot that failed to maintain your interest. Care to elaborate? I found the story to be above-par for the genre, quite well-constructed even - a good pace and interesting scenarios; suspense and drama and comedy. The character development is excellent as well.

fatfingers

PS With Christmas coming up, it was your reviews that prompted me to buy the Mma Ramotswe novels for a present.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home