Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hullo, all!!

Guess, what!? I'm in Melbourne!

I've taken my first ever paid leave, and I've finally gotten my arse down to visit Sam IV and Unky Gra Gra. It's only taken me four years to get down here to visit the once-hairy one and of course he's just got a job in Sydney, so I was 6 weeks off missing him entirely.

Last Saturday I hopped a coach to Cootamundra (cause there's no direct rail link between Canberra and Melbourne) and from there I got a train to Melbourne. First of all, let me just say that I love train travel. It's so relaxing and steady, without any accompanying nausea if you try to read. I'd also like to say the Stephen Fry's reading of the Harry Potter books is incredible. Now, back to my trip...

Graham (at whose place I am staying) met me at the train station (formerly Spencer Street, now Melbourne Southern Cross because they put a new roof on it) and then took me straight to the Malthouse Theatre where we attended the premiere of the show he'd just sunk 80 hours into in one week. I enjoyed the show, although I think it still needed a couple more polishes. The acting was excellent and the ideas presented interesting, but it didn't grip me as well as I think it could have.

Of course, what opening night would be complete without an after-show soiree and I'd like to recommend the mini-burgers and chicken and leak pies. Also, it was the first of such things I've been too where they also had dessert. Mini lemon meringue pies (which I missed out on... now I have a craving... [cranes neck at café cake fridge]) and these amazing chocolate and raspberry brownies. They where about the size of an eraser (or a 9 volt battery? Just a bit more square) and soooo rich. Very, very good.

Following that, we dumped my stuff back at Graham's house, which is simple awesome. It's across the road from Edinburgh park, has a MASSIVE kitchen (in which I'm making pizza tomorrow for dinner) and is just reall groovy. Not to mention that it's also a pleasant stroll to Brunswick Street and other trendy locales. We topped off the night with a ginger martini at a bar called, oddly enough, Ginger and I have to say that despite sitting on my bum for the majority of the day, I was a very tired Euan when I eventually went to bed.

I'll sign off now (my chicken tenderloins are getting cold) and see you later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home