Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Wa-hoo!

My first draft of the creative aspect of my masters is done! It has a beginning, a middle and an end and is about 27000 words long!!! YAY ME!!

I'm feeling really good about it, and some of it is just down-right creepy. If I say so meself. I got to play with all kinds of styles and formats, including a screenplay, some plain narrative, a few newspaper articles and some memos and reports. Of course, the different genres mean that some of the fragments have their own page, so it's about 135 pages long, making it officially the biggest thing I've ever written. In fact, given that the closest I've come to this word count in one piece is about 12000, it's officially two of the biggest things I've ever written. :)

So now I can relax a little bit. A very little bit. I need to knock up maybe one or two more things, and then I can knuckle down and polish the piece til it glows. And then there's the theoretical side, with about 5000 words left to go and ideas for about twie that. In all, I think I'm goin' pretty good.

And so now I'm enjoying a day of Sopranos and the internet. I'll probably have some lunch soon and ... I think you get the idea. :)

Oh, I bought Timesplitters 2 2nd hand t'other week and damn is it a great game. And really fucking annoying. Health packs appear to be non-existent (and I'm playing on normal difficulty) and there's only one save point each level and it's right in the fucking middle. Also, mission-essential objectives keep popping up mid-game so you can sometimes fail the level before you know what you have to do. FUCKERS!

That said, the graphics are amazing, the level design impressive and the multi-player is great. You can be a monkey!! : ) And there's a hyper-speed power-up, so you can also become... SUPER-FAST MONKEY!!! Respect and fear the Super-fast monkey! And you can even make yer own levels, which on a console games is pretty frickin' impressive. :)

In fact, I think I'll go and give it a whirl right now...

Four things I learned recently;

  1. Even under two doonas and a sheet, you can still tell when it's too cold to get out of bed.

  2. Having a clear image in your head of what a scene will look like when you write a script is a great feeling.

  3. The writing in the The Sopranos, like Shakespeare, has you adopting its speech patterns if you watch too much of it.

  4. This week I can afford to buy comics, and it's a good feeling.



=========
"Hell, I like you. You can come home and fuck my sister."
- Drill Sergeant, Full Metal Jacket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home