Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Book 10

"The Tears Of The Giraffe" by Alexander McCall Smith

The second novel about Mma Ramotswe and her No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency is just as good as the first. It has the same format of one larger story that threads through the whole novel, interwoven with small, self-contained mini-stories that expand the characters and give moments of insight into African life. Or so I assume, cause that's what it feels like to me.

It also contains one of my favourite sentences I have ever read in my entire life;

"Mr J. L. B. Matekoni and Mma Ramotswe decided that afternoon that life was becoming too complicated for both of them and that they should declare the rest of the day to be a day of simple activities, centred around the children."

I don't know particularly why, but I love this sentence.

"Tears Of The Giraffe" gets 4 rightfully imprisoned house ladies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home