Monday, March 07, 2005

Book something else

"Wolves In The Walls" by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Dave McKean

I've finally found a way to reconcile my issues over reading a very short book. I read another one. So I'm going to count them as half a book each.

"Wolves" was freakin' cool. It centres around a little girl who can hear wolves in the walls but the whole family assures her it's something else. And then the wolves come out of the walls, and as they say when the wolves come out of the walls it's all over. I think the wolves may be a metaphor for something, but I'm jsut not sure what. The art is also very cool, with Mr McKean outdoing himself in his photo-collage-water-colour-whatever-the-hell-he-does way.

It's supposed to be a children's book, and is certainly more so than "The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy", but it is a little freaky. Still, I think it'd be a great introduction to the quirky style of Gaiman, and what kid wouldn't like to hear a story that ends with an elephant trying to stifle a sneeze?

Four second-best tubas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home