Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Book 48

"Past Mortem" by Ben Elton

The Man from Aunty's latest novel (that I've read) is not for the faint of heart. There are gruesome murders, kinky sex and generally fucked up people aplenty. There's also a cracking mystery, some serious thrills and the usual Elton sense of dark, dark humour. If I hadn't left it so long to write this one up (and if I hadn't lent the book to Tash at work), I'd be able to give you more of a run down on the plot. However, I can tell you that there's a brilliant but young and physically-unimpressive Detective Inspector from Scotland Yard who is assigned a series of grotesque serial killings that all seem to be linked - despite disparate MOs - by the fact that all the victims were bullies of one sort or another.

While not the page-turner that I found "This Other Eden" or "Stark" to be, I very much enjoyed "Past Mortem", although I think after reading some of the crime scene descriptions that Mr Elton might need a hug and a lie down.

A good yarn, but not for wussies.

Four unrequited longings out of five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home