Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Catching up and catching up

A little too dramatic perhaps, but kinda how it happened, except it was Chris and Carmen getting on my back for not writing anything for ages, so here goes...

First, I've had a chance to catch up with a couple of amigos from my past who have moved to Melbourne. The first to visit was Graham, aka Unky Gra Gra, Captain Furry Knickers, Captain Coincidence and the Nasty Man. He's been making a very respectable, and very busy living for himself down in Melbourne and, of course, his blog can be found here.

Had an excellent meal at Verve - a local cafe - where we shared a fine bottle of wine (a Brothers In Arms Cabernet Shiraz, if memory serves), some fine food (the duck rolls were superb) and fine conversation. Found out just how damn busy Chook is, how hard it is for him to go five minutes without someone offering him a job and that he managed to get slabbed on the only show he operated here in Canberra. You could hear the laughter from the moon.

The second blast from the past came courtesy of Chris "I may have to make up some amusing nicknames with which to call him" Stewart (who also has a blog), who was - as you should remember - one of the people who mentioned in no uncertain terms that my blog has been somewhat static recently. We also talked about my Masters (he was disappointed I gave him my work to date on a CD as he would have enjoyed the 'thunk factor' of a paper copy), his Masters (futurist studies, so he gets to just make shit up... at least, that's the impression I got. :) ) and the world in general. It was a great afternoon, due in no small part to the presence of Carmen as a curbing influence on both our tendencies to spout utter shite at the least provocation.

It also looks like we may have a found a new house, if we can just get another look inside. I found out that organise two people with busy 8am - 5pm, monday to friday, jobs to look at a house in real estate operating hours is no mean feat, especially when you throw in a crook property manager and a tyrannical boss. But Ratti, Sam and I should get a butchers (for me, another butchers) inside and decide for certain. It would seem that we may already have approval for this one, given that the successful application that we put in for a big house in Pearce (that the owners then decided to sell, not rent) was just kinda knocked on to this one.

Fingers crossed here...

Four Things I've Learned Recently

  1. Rice crackers and refried bean dip don't work.

  2. My car can go quite a while with the fuel light on.

  3. Brown sugar is not so good for Creme Brulee.

  4. When making sugar syrup, take it off the heat as soon it starts to colour.



=============
"You had best un-fuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck."
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home