Thursday, January 06, 2005

A challenge

A simple one. Read 50 books in 1 year. I heard about this just before Christmas and it sounded like fun. I figure I can manage that, so here I go.

At the risk of starting up an endless debate, I'm not going to count graphic novels in my total, if for no other reason as I see that as a bit cheat-y, given I can power through one of those in an hour or two. I also won't count the two books I have finished this year, because strictly speaking I did start them in 2004. I suppose I could count the year between christmases, but I think that'd just be wishy-washy. However, I have started and finished my first book entirely in 2005, and here it is (fanfare, please...);

50 Book Challenge Book #1;
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman

As a collection of short stories, "Smoke and Mirrors" is a cut above the others I have read not just because of the variety of styles and even genres that Gaiman plays with, but because Gaiman runs through something of the background for each of the pieces (including the erotic "Tastings", which he had to stop writing every paragraph or so to cope with his emabarassment). But, even without the backgrounds, this would be an impressive collection.

One of the best things about it is - as always when I read Gaiman - he inspires me to write myself. Even though the ideas that spark and fizz in my brain aren't directly related to the story I've just read, I always get them popping up when I read Gaiman. The stories are awesome, with "Snow, Glass and Apples" being my favourite, I think, although the stories about Lawrence Talbot - of which there are two - were also freakin' cool. Go out and get this one, people, it's a keeper.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta say, the challenge should probably be read 50 new books in a year. Sounds like you've already read Smoke and Mirrors before. :)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Euan said...

Actually, I don't think I have. One or two of the stories perhaps, but I don't think I've read the book before. I could be wrong, though. : )

9:40 PM  
Blogger Euan said...

Um... I linked it in the post, dude... :)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Euan said...

At least, I have now... I swear I meant to put a link into the post... :)

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home