Wednesday, December 14, 2005

And now all about me...

And just what the hell have I been doing this month and a bit? Apart from reading more books than I can remember (I am on 50 dammit! I just don't know WHY?)? Well, I've more or less settled into work at IP Australia and if you want proof that I'm actually doing work then go here, log in as a guest and search trademark number 1074895. There you will find proof that I have done at least 1 thing since I started working there. I've also had more Monte Carlo biscuits in 10 weeks than in the preceding 10 years and drunk my body weight in instant coffee (And for those who don't know me to look at me, we're talking a lot of coffee).

I've been to a few Public Service "events" since I started too, most notable amongst them being our End of Training lunch (what I organised and had a couple of free beers at 'cause the people at the Woden Pide House ROCK!!), and the IP Australia Christmas party.

The Christmas party was more fun than I thought it would be, though somewhat marred by the workman who fell out of the roof (before I arrived, but in time to be witnessed by about 50 IP staff) and hit the auditorium floor some 12 metres below. He is currently recovering from a broken femur, a dislocated shoulder, multiple arm fractures and "internal bruising". Ouch. Then again, and on the other (unbroken) hand, he fell 12 metres to a solid floor, so he's pretty lucky he ain't dead.

For me the highlight of the party was my victory in the Red Faces contest to the tune of $150. That's right, first place and $150 for telling a two minute joke. I gotta say, tho, that Public Service people can be a bit... prudish? One of my intake - a guy who's been in the APS for a while - was a little surprised I used the words "had sex with" in the joke. S'not like I said "they was fuckin'" or anythin', eh? Still, I was telling the joke to a crowd of around 400 hundred people, among them (in fact, one of the judges of the contest) the Head of the Department.

As well as mad parties and money-winning, I've also been performing in a play and seeing afew films, but I reckon I'll post those little bits on their own... : )

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't want to rain on your parade but IPA isn't a department.

Industry Tourism and Resources is the department...

It may have been the Director General but not the head of department.

Yes, I am that bored.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Euan said...

The bored anonymous person was right, it was the DG, not the Head of Department.

6:42 PM  
Blogger c said...

maybe not so much 'prudish' as 'holding the breath and hoping for entertainment that won't result in anyone feeling harrassed in the workplace'.

Be grateful, unfortunately I've seen the alternative and it's ugly...

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home