Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Best. Bond. Ever.

Seriously.

I know that some people out there are going "blah blah blah Sean Connery blah blah blah original and best blah blah blah" but they're the same people who haven't bought a new album in 30 years and refuse to get a DVD player because they "don't see the point".

OK, maybe my liking of Brosnan over the last few years (including the patently crap films) has caused me to be over being told my opinion is wrong, but Daniel Craig blows them both out of the water. He's suave, he's smooth and he can get down and dirty in a fight scene like few actors can. He's also, and I say this as a straight guy who speaks without attraction but with a huge amount of jealousy, supremely hot. Smokin' hot.



The movie itself isn't perfect, but none of them have ever been and this one is a damn sight closer than most. The pacing is taught (except for the "has it ended, or hasn't it" final reel, but that's forgivable), the stunts are great and the babes are gorgeous. From the grainy black and white of the pre-title sequence, to the frickin' awesome title sequence itself, you know Bond is back and better than ever.

It's also an origin story and love origin stories. This one is smoothly told and also - and don't tell me this is a gimme - pretty well acted too. Judi Dench continues to be the coolest M ever and the other supporting cast are solid and watchable. And then there's Mr Daniel "Kill you as soon as look at you" Craig himself. How is he?

Best. Bond. Ever.

It's dirty, violent, harsh and almost had me crying. Why? Cause they trashed an Aston Maritn DBS, that's why! Bastards.

Throw in a little free running and Vesper's "I want them to be watching you, not me" dress and you've got an enjoyable, rollicking, awesome freight-train of a film that's few failings are more than smashed to little bits by its many, many successes.

Four and a half Walther P99s out of 5.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!


'k, that's the warnings over. Yes it is a fab film and some of my quick likes and dislikes?
LIKES: Showing it takes more than three seconds to strangle someone, the awesome opening sequence, the understated way they introduced the Bond must-haves (vodka martini, tux, etc), Eva Green and showing Bond as the dead eyed psycho he can be.

DISLIKES: They wimped out of an obvious opportunity to introduce S.P.E.C.T.E.R (I know it's mega cheese but this is Bond and an early established part of Bond at that), 007's romantic holiday which went on for way too long, Colin Salmon should have been M's sidekick again and the product placement which is becoming more gratuitous each movie.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too posted a Bond blog! The Bond love must run in the family. I agree with you about Dame Judy and the amazing filming effects in the beginning, as well as the painful wrecking of that beautiful Aston Martin. Sigh!
I thought it was a Walther PPK? What's a Walther P99?

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... I'll spare you all a lengthy rant. I will say that although I did enjoy the film, I am firmly in the camp that is disappointed about what I feel is very NOT the best BOND ever. I did like it though, and have even seen it three times (one with a bottle of red handy), I guess I just miss BOND as he exists for me.

Personally I believe Bond didn't need such a reboot/rehash/restart/re-whatever, better plot and script would have gone a long way for the series. Yes it's grittier and real, but shoot me if I don't like a bit of freaking fantasy, and bond was that, and now it's gone along with Q telling James to "grow up".

Oh, and hey Euan, GRATS YOU TWO ON THE 'SHE SAID YES', a bit late, but better late than never say never tomorrow dies again a day after yesterday! (I always say)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home