Monday, June 11, 2007

Why do they waste their talents?

I'm talking about Will Ferrell (and Adam Sandler, and those like them). I watched Stranger Than Fiction last night and it's awesome! A sweet, charming, fantastically-scripted and -acted film. And Will Ferrell is amazing in it. He's understated and subtle in his performance, something which you'd not necessarily think he was capable of, given some of the other films he's been in and there we have my point.

Why don't actors like Will Ferrell (and Adam Sandler and those like them) get more straight roles? Sandler was great in The Wedding Singer and there was barely a poo or wee gag in sight. Ferrell is, as I said, simply beautiful in Stranger Than Fiction. I know that you can almost guarantee a significant audience of yuckers will check out the latest Sandler gag-fest (and by gag I don't necessarily mean laughter...) or Ferrell-vehicle where they have to mug and run around and pee against walls, but surely giving them more chances to remind us that they can actually act would also be nice.

I know Sandler keeps sneaking in a Punch Drunk Love here and a Reign Over Me there, but I want to see more of them! Ferrell especially seems to be purpose-built for the quirky, unusual meta-films that Stranger Than Fiction represents.

Although I suppose if they all pulled a Tom Hanks ans snuck into comedy/dramedy-centric careers, then it would sort of spoil the point of casting them against type.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home