Sunday, March 28, 2004

Weddings, breakfast, anything...

My first pun subject header. Trust me, it will not be my last. Wanna know what's happened since last we met? Well, for starters; Tim and Charlotte got married!!!
Big congratulations are, of course in order. The ceremony itself was beautiful, even if I say so myself. Y'see, I had the honour of giving a reading. So I have actually spoken, in a church, at deliberate volume to be heard by people other than my friends and not just to make a snide comment that'll damn me to hell. What I read was a brief passage from Twelfth Night, Act 3 scene 1, where... um... the rich chick... the one that Carmen played... says that "love sought is good, but given unsought better". It didnae go too badly, except I did speak justatadfastsothatitmayhavebeenhardtounderstandme. Leila did sing at the wedding also, and was absolutely amazing (as you would expect). Tim don't half scrub up nice in a tux and Charlotte's dress was truly gorgeous.

From the ceremony (which was held at the Kirk of St Andrew in Forrest, for those people that know Canberra geography), we then moved on to the Boathouse for a truly spectacular reception. The food was - as one would expect - stunning, as was the service. I had the veal. Mmmm... baby cow... The band were perfect, low key and groovy, and the speeches were short, amusing and touching. And I was the MC, so in between the short, amusing and touching speeches we had yours truly trying desperately not to look like I was in the middle of a routine at the velvet room at The Sands. Still, I did have people laughing, the bride and groom blushing and only made one grossly inappropriate joke for which Sam IV hit me quite hard.

All the bunnies in attendance scrubbed up well, with my gorgeous lady Carmen and Leila worthy of special mention. Leila's hair was all curly and pinned up and pretty and Carmen was, simply, stunning in her 20s-style dress. Denis's $600 suit was well worth the price, and even I managed to look vaguely decent. OH! And Sam IV was all kilted up. He borrowed Barry's (being conveniently entitled to wear it) and so didn't have to adjust the straps or anything. Also, he had a knife in his sock (a sgian dubh - pronounced "skee-an doo"). We were nice to him.

So today was a nice slow start, followed by crispy bacon, pancakes and eggs for the gang (well, me, Carms, Cal, Ratti, Leila, Denis and Sam IV), with a brief guest appearance by the young master Barry (or Gault-y, as I believe he is called by his RAAF peers. Really guys, at least our nickname has a story). He's enjoying playing with bombs and stuff, and is looking healthy as ever.

Oh, and I'm thinking of applying for a post-grad with DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade), so maybe I can become a spy like Sam IV's dad! :)

Four things I've learned recently

  1. While it is possible to just 'wing it' when you MC and wedding reception, try and have just a few notes to fall back on.

  2. Charlotte was really mean when she was little.

  3. Like deep-fried mars bars, I have yet to add successful doughnuts to my culinary repertoire.

  4. Don't fire rocket launchers into the wall next to your head.



======
"Shut the fuck up, Donny."
- Walter, The Big Lebowski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home