Sunday, August 15, 2004

More Musings

I was truly scared t'other day. And not a little happy to be Australian. Y'see, I was channel hopping and caught a bit of a speech by George W. on SBS, followed quickly by a chunk of Question Time on ABC. Now, I know I am totally not the first person to say this and will in no way be the last, but George W. Bush is a barely-articulate fool. He meanders on the topic, peters out halfway through sentences and just can't talk properly.

John Howard, on the other hand, heinous little troll that he is, can at least form a coherent sentence and get an idea across, if not clearly, then at least in a way that can be followed. Even if you can't agree with what he is saying, at least you don't sit there staring at the screen in confused silence with a "Wah-fuh?" look stuck to your face trying to work out just what the hell he is trying to say.


EATTISOML; #31 Farmer Bill's Cowman, The Wurzels

When I was a young boy, in more idyllic times, before my addiction to popular culture and cult TV had really taken hold, I would often enjoy nothing more than kicking back with an old record player and a stack of 45RPM singles by the likes of Max Bygraves, The Wurzels and even Bernard Cribbins. My Granny and Grandpa Taff had stacks of these old records lying around (not literally, Granny Taff kept a very clean house) and when we visited Sussex Inlet during the holidays, my brother and I would listen to them when it got to dark to bike ride or play french cricket or feed ants to the spiders that lived in the hedge. And out of our listening to these singles, an occasional after-dinner floor show of my miming to the songs would be put on in the lounge. Why was "Farmer Bill's Cowman" one of my favourites? It had lines about milking bulls and I had no idea what they meant, but Mum and Dad and Granny and Grandpa found them hilarious.

Four Things I Learned Recently;

  1. Sometimes, when you hear about a new production, you go all warm and fuzzy inside.

  2. It is important that all zombie-loving members of our group (and, indeed, all zombie-loving Australians) put the 28th of October aside.

  3. Working with someone who is in a foul mood who thinks that hospitality might not be for them any more is not as fun as you might think.

  4. Prawns are yummy.



============
"I am Jack's raging bile duct."
- Narrator, Fight Club

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home